From Theory to Praxis: My Vegan Experience

Image by Kranich17 via Pixabay

Having adhered to a vegan diet for more than a week, I can attest that it was not as challenging as I had anticipated. Perhaps because I already lead a low-carb lifestyle, the alterations were not as extreme as I had envisioned. I also enjoy cooking and possess an innate talent for creating meals from whatever ingredients are on hand; so, food prep was easy. The hardest part of the process for me was shopping for the necessary ingredients for meal planning.

Image by Rose Costa

During my first trip to the supermarket, I quickly discovered that “vegan” food items were not readily available at the chain I shop, and the few that were available had exorbitant price tags. To keep my costs low, I resorted to shopping at multiple stores.

This realization was disheartening and troubling as it dawned on me that adopting a vegan lifestyle may not be a viable option for many individuals, particularly those belonging to marginalized communities who live in poverty. It begs the question, why is it less expensive to purchase a fast-food burger than to buy a package of vegan flat bread? The exploitation of healthier food options is undoubtedly a significant contributing factor to the high obesity rates prevalent in the United States.

Image By Encyclopedia Britanica

My first day of veganism was easy. I had my usual protein shake for breakfast (plant protein instead of whey), and since I worked in Boston that day, my coworkers and I purchased lunch from the cafeteria. One of them suggested a Blueberry Burst Wrap, and it was delicious! The wrap was large, and I took half home for supper.

Unfortunately, after the long commute, I was so hungry when I got home, I forgot to take photos of the wrap, but captured the ingredients to make it again. I have made it twice since, and it tastes better each time.

Image By Rose Costa

The rest of the week, I followed simple recipes for foods I would typically make as side dishes to accompany meat entrees, carefully reading labels to ensure there were no meat products in the ingredients.

• Brown rice & black beans
  • Tabbouleh
  • Vegetable stew
  • Mixed bean salad

Image By Rose Costa

One of my vegan friends was so excited that I was giving veganism a try, she offered to share some of her meals with me. Although I enjoyed some very tasty dishes that I had not thought of making before, I had not realized many were heavy on seasoning, which I am not particularly a fan of, but I customized the taste by adding other ingredients to make it more to my liking. Unfortunately, I changed the seasoning so much that I might never be able to replicate the taste again.

The meals my friend prepped for me consisted of an array of different foods (photos below), some which I tried for the first time, including vegan grape leaves and tofu. The vegan grape leaves with brown rice were delicious, and I have since made a variation with cabbage, but the tofu was a disappointment to me. There is something about the texture of tofu that I could not enjoy. This is not uncommon for someone who undergoes weight loss surgery, and although it has been over a decade, I still come across some foods, now and again, that I cannot eat.

• Thai curry beans
  • Vegan grape leaves
  • Tofu chicken boats
  • Tofu chicken cucumber salad

Image By Rose Costa

Overall, I enjoyed the foods I cooked, and most importantly, I felt good about my decision to try veganism which was motivated by a desire to further explore the ethical dimensions of my relationship with food. At the end of my commitment, I feel the plan was successful in that it forced me to be more conscious about what I feed my body. I began scrutinizing food labels, a habit I had abandoned since my post-bariatric surgery, and surprisingly, when I came across meat-based ingredients, I felt a moral duty to not consume the products, a transformation I never thought possible since I had been a dedicated “medium-rare” steak consumer throughout my life.

Image By faithie via Adobe Stock

Nonetheless, by avoiding animal products, I am confident that I have reduced animal suffering and minimized the environmental impact of animal agriculture, which was my original intention.

Furthermore, I am amazed by the positive effects of adopting a plant-based diet for just over a week. By day three, I had already noticed improvements in my digestion, as well as the absence of the energy dips that I typically experience between 1:00-2:00 pm.

I have also become more aware to how corporations exploit women and non-human animals through anthropornography, a subject that had previously escaped my attention. I am convinced that veganism is a step towards a more just and sustainable world that recognizes the interdependence of all living beings, and I have decided to continue this journey. I not only succeeded in fulfilling my personal ethical responsibility but also developed a stronger bond with the natural world, which is often overlooked and undervalued.

Image by quinnhopp via RedBubble